Skip to main content

Search form


Refractory table?

- 25 Feb 2013 -
6 posts / 0 new

Quick question:

Every now and then, I come across listings for a "refractory" dining table. While I am familiar with this word in the context of biology and physics/chemistry, I'm not sure how it relates to furniture.

Is it simply people getting the term confused with a "refectory" table? While this may seem to be the obvious interpretation, I actually see the term "refractory" used more often than "refectory" in listings. In either case, the tables usually don't match the "highly elongated" definition that is associated with "refectory" in the dictionary.



- 25 Feb 2013

I have also heard "reflectory".

The top folds up and the table can easily be placed against the wall of the monastery by the monks. Or whatever.

- 26 Feb 2013

Is that like a "dinning" table?
With "rod iron" legs?

- 26 Feb 2013

How about a chester doors for your
molehair sweaters? And a gnawgahyde sofa to sit on?

To be fair, I've also seen "chest of doors".

- 26 Feb 2013

I also saw some
"rot iron" once. Just the once, though. So far. Probably won't be the last.

- 26 Feb 2013

I see
chest of draws pop up with confusing frequency. I have probably seen it a dozen times on craigslist postings in the last couple of years. Many variations of credenza also. But the whole rod iron/ wrought iron thing just kills me. Every time some one is selling anything with black finished steel parts (Mccobb and Umanoff stuff etc) it is always referred t as iron even though it is steel. It is essentially universal.

Log in or register to post comments