26-Jul-08
The Dansk Quistgaard Ice Bucket
You know the one, the staved "Viking" one -- is anyone aware of any other similar ice bucket made by anyone else?

I found one that looks like the Dansk, but it has several differences. I've searched all over and so far have not yet seen any example of this design being produced by any one else.

The one I have is not marked at all, nor is it made of staves -- it's made from one piece of teak, and the lid is also made from one piece (the knob is not separate) and it has a knob instead of the crossbar style on the Dansk one.

It's exceptionally well made. The walls are thinner than the Dansk one. Someone told me that they think they had seen one made by some other Danish designer, but I cannot find any info, if that's true.

An early prototype maybe?

I will post photos as soon as I take some. The photo below is the typical Dansk/Quistgaard one.

posted by dashes
 [edit]

26-Jul-08
OK here are some photos
See how much thinner the sides are?

Also I'm calling it teak but maybe it's walnut or ?

posted by dashes
 [edit]

26-Jul-08
Interesting puzzle
Can we have a peep inside, please? Is there a black plastic liner?
posted by Geo. H.
 [edit]

26-Jul-08
Sure - but the liner is a tan color
The most common Dansk liner color I've seen is the orange, but I have seen at least one instance with this color liner, as well as the black I believe.
posted by dashes
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
i have had one of these!
i have had one of these, they are just a copy, i bought one from an OP shop i was so excited when i found it i always wanted one, then two weeks later i walked into the same shop and there sitting there was the real jens quistgaard teak ice bucket, i soon realized the one i bought before was nowhere near the quality of the real one, the original speaks for itself here is mine.
posted by jonnie
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
My plastic lined one..
is in rough shape. I plan on giving it some TLC and make it more presentable.

(Wish I had found one of the Quistgaard ones!!)

posted by black651
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
I've seen lots of nice teak s...
I've seen lots of nice teak salad sets made of solid, not staved, teak. Most are from the South Pacific or Caribbean. I think the reason for using staved wood is that it is more stable than solid wood. It's also more work, so it would follow that solid teak pieces are less expensive. I would guess that yours is one of these tropical region pieces. My best guess, anyway.
posted by spanky
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
Also
That looks like veener to me, not the solid blocks of teak used in the original.

What do you folks use this bucket for anyway? Ice?
posted by Gustaf
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
Americans love their ice
Ah, a culture question. My favorite! Yes, Gustaf, we Americans have a love affair with ice. We put in our still (tap) water. We put it in our Coca Colas. We put in our liquor drinks. And I'm not talking one or two cubes. We fill up our glasses with loads and loads of lovely ice.

As for the ice bucket, when we are entertaining, we fill it up with ice and put it out on the bar with a pair of little ice tongs for our guests. A nice ice bucket is a necessity in the southern states because it's very, very hot and humid here and we love to entertain outside on our porches and, most importantly, we drink alot. A whole lot.

BTW, I too have seen alot of faux Scandinavian tableware in antique stores. A bunch of it has been marked "made in Haiti".

posted by Riki
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
A few comments and more questions
If this is a cheap copy, I would expect to see lots of them around, especially on ebay - yet I cannot find another that is like this one. Can anyone find one anywhere on the net?

As for veneer, I'm not sure why you would think that - I can assure you that it is one continuous piece of wood, save for the ring of wood atop the liner, and the crossbar handle. If veneeer is just very thin wood, then perhaps that's what it is, as long as they had a tubular piece including the bottom. Follow the grain lines from the bottom up along the sides.

As for quality, I have many other Dansk/Quistgaard pieces so I'm familiar with their quality. This is as good or better.

I've shown this (in person) to some people who are quite expert in MCM design, and they were puzzled. One said he believed he had seen something like this from another well known Danish designer, such as Juhl or Wegner, but he wasn't sure who exactly, just that it was a recognizable name. I don't know the Danish culture enough to know if they would do something like that, even as a joke maybe?

However, all that said -- I have seen some amazing reproductions/copies of many things, so I don't doubt this is possible (even probable) - but I'd love to see some photos of this same copy, if anyone could please find one.

Me personally - I like this one better than the Dansk/JHQ, simply because it's a bit enigmatic, lol - ironic as that might seem.
posted by dashes
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
dashes, then I stand...
dashes, then I stand corrected. I thought veener mainly based on how the top edge looks in the photo with the liner. There looks to be a joint of sorts running just below the top edge. Also, because it would be rare to find an item like this made from a solid piece. Just my assumptions. Being made from solid wood makes it even more special. I too would be interested in its history. Btw, I don't think any one suggested that this was a *cheap* copy. It may not even be a copy, as you suggested.

Riki, thanks for the cultural insight :) I was slightly aware of there being different preferences for ice across the world, but it was most enlightening nevertheless. Swedes don't use ice to anything near that extent. I actually always order my drinks in restaurants without ice, regardless of where I go. It's also a health risk in certain countries. But I digress. The reason for my question was that I would love to have a Quistgaard bucket, but I just don't know what to use it for. To have it for purely decorative purposes would be a waste IMHO.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread :)
posted by Gustaf
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
You could . . .
put your Gluhwein in it! :)
posted by Riki
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
Hi Gustaf
It's so hard to convey (or not convey) accurate emotional (or non-emotional, lol) states in this format, I keep running into that on this forum as do others - I'm in no way offended or anything like that, was just trying to point out some facts and observations. I appreciate all input, and I have to try harder to write in a more neutral tone I think - there are so many people who post/read here from all over the world, all different cultures, all different languages, so it can be a little challenging to learn how to walk that fine line - I'm still trying.

All input, all comments, always welcome, imho! (big smile)
posted by dashes
 [edit]

27-Jul-08
Oh, and as to what to use these for...
It would make a very lovely flower vase. Or even just a nice object for display.

I have no use for an ice bucket, otherwise - I think it was a trend back in the days before many refrigerators came with ice dispensors built in.
posted by dashes
 [edit]

28-Jul-08
Gluhwein? Haha, thanks for...
Gluhwein? Haha, thanks for the tip Riki. Yeah, we drink that ALL of the time here in Sweden! ;) Our version is called "glögg", btw. Slightly different spices and we drink it with peeled almonds and raisins. Great stuff for about a week every year!

dashes, you are absolutely right about that. No worries. Thanks also for your suggestion to use it as a vase. If you know me then that it is almost as funny as Riki's tip considering that I am a notorious non-flower buyer (is that a word?) :) I always hear that from my friends (mostly my female friends). I don't even have any plants in my apartment, although I do like the occasional bouquet of roses. I should buy them more often. But yes, it would be splendid to just have the bucket on display, were it not for the fact that I am continuously trying to reduce my non-functional possessions. Beauty does of course serve a purpose too, I just don't want to have too many purely decorative objects. This one is rather pricey at that as well. It would be ideal if it could double as storage for something else, in addition to gluhwein of course. No further news on your bucket?
posted by Gustaf
 [edit]

28-Jul-08
Handmade one-off?
The really wide and pronounced grain in that wood on the unfinished bottom looks like cedar or redwood. Maybe you have an ice bucket that somebody carved or made for their own personal use? Does the liner look like something that they could buy on the market somewhere and put in their bucket? Just a thought.
posted by Riki
 [edit]

29-Jul-08
Heh, Gustaf, about the flowers - because me too
There was a time when I made of point of bringing flowers in regularly and it was really nice - but then they die and you have to start all over. So, I stopped, lol.

Even then though, I used an ice bucket I had as the vase - in fact, I should go dig that up and check it out, it could be some vintage thing that I never noticed (it's metal though).

Riki, I know what you mean about the grain lines on the bottom. I'm pretty sure that the guy I showed it to (who knows his woods) thought it was teak, but now I'm not positive.

And doesn't that dust under the knob just drive everyone nuts!? Why didn't I clean it up before taking photos! LOL -- I might just have to go clean it and oil it and then repost new photos...
posted by dashes
 [edit]

29-Jul-08
just to add a note again i had the same exact ice bucket
i had the exact same ice bucket and i live in australia, i have seen them a few times on ebay i sold mine too, they do not reach very high prices, they are a copy but there is a bit of effort in making them as they are carved out of a solid piece of wood, i would say they come from indonesia or there abouts.
posted by jonnie
 [edit]

29-Jul-08
Pictures are always...
hard to judge but your bucket is certainly not made of teak. The indication that some (many?)came to Australia from Indonesia would suggest that the wood is Merbau. Another possibility would be Meranti but I would see the difference even on a picture. Merbau shows very little difference between the year rings with the grain and a clear, but thin line between the year rings in the end wood. The second reason why I suggest Merbau is that it is one of the few woods that you could use as a solid piece without risking any damage during the drying or any later changes of humidity.
It is very unlikely that a danish designer was involved. Denmarks preference for teak dates back to a close friendship between King Frederik and Burma. Most danish teak is the kind known as: Tectona hamiltoniana (Dahat Teak)that grows in former Burma. This certainly is not. The "freedom" that was taken with the finish of the edge, de knob of the lid and the mediocre finish of the handle would exclude any possibility of being a prototype.
posted by koen
 [edit]

09-Aug-08
I also have a copy of this Quistgaard ice bucket with a different top
I have a small teak ice bucket that looks identical to the Quistgaard Dansk ice bucket. The lid of mine has a knob instead of the streamlined handle of the Quistgaard one. The liner is light colored. I have had it for not even a year--it has been in my family for over 40 years and my mother just gave it to me. Mysteriously, the day the dog walker and the cleaning lady came over and when I wasn't here, it developed an enormous crack. I am heartbroken and would like to replace it exactly. It does not say Dansk on the base but my mother swears it is Dansk. Can anyone help me?
posted by SilveryJ
 [edit]

09-Aug-08
Dear Silvery
Rather than replacing it, bring it to a cabinetmaker in your area. A crack, even an enormous one can be repaired. If you ask a pro to do it you will never find the old crack back
posted by koen
 [edit]

09-Aug-08
I repaired mine
and it is worth repairing...
I was using one of mine as a compost bucket and the lid was
handy containing and keeping out fruit flies in the summer heat.
Too much long term moisture.
(if you use it for ice, don't leave the melted water in it for long term)
My liner is in good shape but it split.
A good strap clamp and wood glue will repair it.
We used boat epoxy. But we were working on a boat project and had
it handy.
posted by rockland
 [edit]

30-Aug-11
Liner color
Does anyone know the history of the liner colors for the Congo ice buckets? Most pieces I've seen have the orange liner, followed by a few with the black liner, and only a couple with the white liner. Do they reflect a specific date of manufacture? Thanks.
posted by cdsilva
 [edit]

31-Aug-11

posted by Tom Ado
edited on 25-Jun-13 12:36 PM  [edit]

31-Aug-11
older Dansk?
I am posting (hoping I did this right, but practise will make perfect...or at least a bit better), pics of an older Dansk icebucket I bought a few years ago. It's the 19" version. The liner is white and the bottom has the ducks and Dansk Designs written in small text surrounding the ducks.
posted by pirx pilot
 [edit]

31-Aug-11
pop
those links in the Associated Web Link box
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24411235@N06/6100403555/in/pho/...
posted by robert1960 (UK)
edited on 31-Aug-11 09:47 PM  [edit]

31-Aug-11
posted by pirx pilot
 [edit]

01-Sep-11
posted by fastfwd (USA)
 [edit]

01-Sep-11
Another white liner
Here's my 19" ice bucket with a white liner. I bought it off someone whose mother was a Knoll designer in the 60s, so I think it is an older one. The stamp might be the same as yours, but it is very faint. Also there is the number '811' stamped, and two slashes that appear to be burned in. I suppose the general faintness of the stamp makes this less desirable, but I'm curious what these extra marks might mean. Factory seconds??? Or his master's mark? :-)
Also, there are two dowels near the handle, though I have seen others with a single, can't recall if it was the smaller one.

posted by diors
edited on 01-Sep-11 02:34 PM  [edit]

01-Sep-11
Robert1960 [eta: pirx pilot]
Your photos didn't show up because the link you put in the photo link field of the message was for the Flickr page where the photo was located. You have to enter the URL of the actual photo, not a webpage. Does that make sense?

Back to Dansk--when I first went to Illums Bolighus in Copenhagen in 1991 or 1992, there was a huge selection of staved teak products on display. It was on the right side of the store on the ground floor in front, in case anyone else remembers. I remember perusing the stuff for a long time, trying to find gifts that I could afford that the recipients would use and enjoy. (It was pretty expensive.)

I remember this stuff as being Dansk but maybe I was wrong. Later we lived there but I don't remember whether the staved teak things were there at that time (late 90s), probably because we were too broke for me to even think about buying anything there.

Fast forward to my most recent visit in 2005---the big selection was gone. I hate to think it just went out of style. Or was it just that Dansk sold out to whatever and now just makes ugly flatware and dishes? (OK, probably some other stuff but the glory days are definitely in the past.)
posted by *spanky*
edited on 01-Sep-11 05:11 PM  [edit]

01-Sep-11
Not Mine
I helped by adding the link, but didn't have the picture URLs to add.
 [edit]

01-Sep-11
pirx pilot, not robert1960
Thanks for pointing that out, robert. I should've scrolled up a bit more.
posted by *spanky*
 [edit]

01-Sep-11
So no one is aware of a...
So no one is aware of a liner color code that dates a piece to a particular year range?
posted by cdsilva
 [edit]

01-Sep-11
Dansk History
I seem to remember an article in Modernism a while back. Not sure how detailed the information is. I'll have to dig it up....right after I learn how to post pictures on this site. I have a copy of Danish Pepper by Mark Perlson, but like its title says, it is mainly about the pepper mills.

Diors. Interesting to see other white liner versions with what I assume must be one of the oldest stamps. Mine also is a two peg version. But did you notice one difference? Mine has a flush bottom while your bucket has a recessed one.
posted by pirx pilot
 [edit]

06-Sep-11
Pixr pilot
Thanks for pointing out that difference about the recessed versus the flush bottom. I wonder which one is more common.
posted by diors
 [edit]

07-Sep-11
My Bottom
is recessed
 [edit]

26-Oct-12
Timeline for Dansk Congo Ice Buckets (long)
This post will demonstrate that I have way too much time on my hands. Anyway, I thought I'd share some research compilation that I've done on the Congo bucket. I had previously tried to find a timeline to help determine whether specific features (marks, liner colors, base detailing) corresponded to the age of the bucket. Inquires to Dansk's current parent company, Lenox, proved fruitless.

After examining photos of many buckets online (mostly through eBay and Etsy), I have come up with the following identification summary:

Dansk Teak Congo Ice Buckets
15" tall: model #810
19" tall: model #811

Dating by marks (earliest to latest), see below for images
A. STAVED TEAK and DANMARK in a football pattern, with reverse image four ducks logo inside and JHQ below.
B. DANSK, DESIGNS, DENMARK, IHQ, © in stacked rows, with a positive image four ducks logo above.
C. DANSK, DESIGNS, DENMARK, IHQ, © in stacked rows, without a four ducks logo.
D. DANSK, INTERNATIONAL, DESIGNS LTD, IHQ DENMARK, © in stacked rows, without a four ducks logo.
E. DANSK, INTERNATIONAL, DESIGNS LTD, THAILAND, JHQ, © in stacked rows, without a four ducks logo.
F. DANSK, INTERNATIONAL, DESIGNS LTD, MALAYSIA, IHQ, © in stacked rows, without a four ducks logo.

posted by cdsilva
edited on 26-Oct-12 05:29 PM  [edit]

26-Oct-12
Dating by base detail...
continued . . .

Dating by base detail (earliest to latest):
Flat bottom
Rimmed bottom

Dating by liner color (generally earliest to latest, but may have been multiple liner colors in one year):
White
Orange
Black

Liner colors can be present with different marks and bases. I have seen examples of 11 different combinations of the Congo ice buckets, which I believe are dated as follows from earliest to latest:

1. A-White-Flat bottom
2. A-Orange-Flat bottom
3. A-White-Rimmed bottom
4. A-Orange-Rimmed bottom
5. B-Orange-Rimmed bottom
6. B-Black-Rimmed bottom
7. C-Orange-Rimmed bottom
8. C-Black-Rimmed bottom
9. D-Black-Rimmed bottom
10. E-Black-Rimmed bottom with recessed circle
11. F-Black-Rimmed bottom

I have made the assumption that only one mark and base detail was used during a particular production year, during which multiple liner colors may have been used. It is possible that 2 and 3 could be switched, but it seems less likely to me that the base design would flip back and forth. I'm not really interested in the SE Asian pieces, but thought I'd include their info for fun, and to also help establish black as the most recent liner color.

Some combination conclusions:
1. All white liners have the A logo mark.
2. All flat bottom buckets are earlier than rimmed bottoms (this is more of an educated guess)
3. No black liners have the A logo mark.
4. All buckets made outside of Denmark have a black liner.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a bucket. And sorry if I have made it harder for those who already figured out the above to get a good deal on the elusive white liners.

If anyone has seen a different combination than above or have noticed a flaw in my logic, please let me know.
posted by cdsilva
edited on 26-Oct-12 05:28 PM  [edit]

26-Oct-12
photos
Dansk logo marks on teak Congo ice buckets
posted by cdsilva
edited on 26-Oct-12 05:32 PM  [edit]

26-Apr-13
Just added . . .
. . . a reasonably-priced 19" white liner to go with my current 15" white liner and 19" orange liner.

Now I can chill champagne, white white, and a bottle of vodka all at one time.

posted by cdsilva
 [edit]

Boombastix

An interactive place to share your questions and reflections about
modern & post-modern design.

is own family out of replica watches the replica watches house, and he was to go out there bombers replica watches simply should not exist in this Victoria's daughter. Ang Carolina White still replica watches remember the first quarter she first arrived: Wherever she replica watches went, where just rumors. Indeed, precisely replica watches because she faced slander defamation courage and replica watches wisdom, Only to Leonardo white person replica watches eventually finds out ahead. He managed to replica watches say a word. Then, yes, ma'am. This I mean no replica watches disrespect, I grew up under this kind of replica handbags louis vuitton handbags outlet education is. Decent people should know how too Days. Decent people 070-485 exam only in the darkening of the pregnant child, a child at the time of the 070-467 exam new sun appears. General did not say anything, but Underhill backhand shot toward 070-457 exam him. Never mind, Sgt. You should replica watches see the.

advertising