Skip to main content

Search form

Filters

Johs Aasbjerg - Excellent Furniture Co Catalog, 1960, 90 pages complete

- 14 Aug 2013 -
213 posts / 0 new

I will be scanning and sharing this catalog here. Here, to begin with, are a few pages. There are larger images in the flickr set linked at the bottom. Image: 1: cover shot, showing three France & Søn easily recognized designs 2: introduction to the fine, hand-crafted construction of the Aasbjerg designs. His signature was the dovetailed corner on case pieces. Dovetailed corners are almost completely unique to the work of Johannes Aasbjerg. I know of only two other designers/makers who used dovetails in a piece (Mogens Koch/Rud. Rasmussen and Hans Wegner/Andreas Tuck). 3. Excellent Furniture Co. #102, and France and Søn #524 (designer?) http://www.flickr.com/photos/79973393@N02/sets/72157635074983146/

Johs Aasbjerg - Excellent Furniture Co Catalog, 1960, 90 pages complete
Designer(s)

Comments

- 14 Aug 2013

Nice documents.
Peter Hvidt/Søborg also used dovetails.

- 14 Aug 2013

leif ericson
I bet that dealer would be quite grateful if you were to share the attribution with them. Though the item is sold, they may want to let their customer know what they now own. I know I would.

A bit of good will often extended will often come back two fold.

BTW, very cool catalogue and info. Your pieces are delightful as well. Thanks for sharing.

- 15 Aug 2013

Pegboard:
Just did so on your recommendation. Thanks for the suggestion. I am always interested in some goodwill.

I wouldn't have had this catalog or verified proof of the attribution of my pieces if it were for a lot of good will.

And I keep finding Aasbjerg pieces around the internet, and almost always they don't have attribution.

- 15 Aug 2013

I think PK also used corner d...
I think PK also used corner dovetails in a chest of drawers, a rare thing, not 100% on it though.

- 15 Aug 2013

Not dovetails
I think these are not dove tail joints at all. Those would be the more triangular ones that are typically used to attach drawer fronts to drawers. I know these as either box or finger Joints.

Edit for addition; After looking at the ad page for the cabinet, I do not know why these are being called dove tails. Perhaps it is an unusual blind type with the triangular portion internal. Woodies?

- 15 Aug 2013

Dovetails and finger joints
These are absolutely dovetails on the Aasbjerg pieces. The photos posted so far just are from bad angles for seeing the angled half of the dovetail joint.

Onno: I have yet to see a Peter Hvidt piece that used dovetails. The Søborg pieces use what is called a finger or box joint, where each finger in the joint is cut at 90 degrees. By contrast, the dovetail has angled "fingers." But if there is a Hvidt piece out the with dovetails I'd love to see it. Also, there are very rare pieces of Nils Jonsson/Troeds with finger jointed cases, like the Hvidt pieces.

- 15 Aug 2013

Finger joints
There is a TROEDS sideboard on E-BAY uk which shows the finger joints very clearly.

- 15 Aug 2013

I too initially read the
black-and-white catalog photo(s) as finger joints. (Note that the front corner is treated to a miter -- as is the piece in the photo immediately above.) But it's possible that (unlike the above piece) the vertical pins are dovetails, in that early photo. I can't think of a reason for orienting the dovetailed pins one way vs the other -- though it could be argued that, absent glue, gravity would keep a case together when its angled pins were vertical rather than horizontal . . . ?

. . . if we're going to get all esoteric and stuff . . .

- 15 Aug 2013

Page 10
France and Søn Model 417 by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen, part of the Minerva series

- 15 Aug 2013

Page 11
(Missing, according to the pricelist it is another image of France & Søn #417)

- 15 Aug 2013

Page 12
No. 20: France & Søn Model 523 by Peter Hvidt & Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen
No. 20A: Excellent Furniture Company Model 33 by Johs. Aasbjerg. Note there is a matching coffee table and two tier side table.

- 15 Aug 2013

Another specimen of the triangular coffee table similar to Ex #33. In my personal possesion

- 15 Aug 2013

And since you all want to see the dovetails
Here is another specimen, model unknown, but very similar to later models in the catalog.

Note that in the third photo, you can see the characteristic finished back on Aasbjerg pieces. You can't see in the photo that the back is screwed on with small flathead screws in countersunk holes. Very meticulous Aasbjerg was: no staples. I will take photos of a sideboard in personal collection and post it.

Also, in the photo showing the dovetails, you can just make out another Aasbjerg characteristic, the solid teak boards were joined with a routed seam with sloping edges and a flat bottom: \_/. Occasionally in thicker tops he used a glued butt joint instead of the routed joint.

- 16 Aug 2013

Time for some more pages: Page 13
There are 90 pages in total, with a variety of other company's designs mostly in the beginning with more and more Johannes Aasbjerg designs towards the end. So there is a good bit of "ground to cover" here in the beginning.

France & Søn Models: 137 by Finn Juhl and 532

- 16 Aug 2013

Page 16
J.L. Møller models: 71 by Arne Hovmand Olsen (often attributed in late catalogs to N.O. Møller) & 75 by N.O. Møller

- 16 Aug 2013

Page 17
J.L. Møller model 56 by N.O. Møller.

Note that throughout the catalog "V" indicated Møller.

- 16 Aug 2013

Page 20
J.L. Møller model 55 by Arne Hovmand Olsen (often attributed to N.O. Møller) & Fritz Hansen model 2107

- 16 Aug 2013

Page 21
Søborg Møbelfabrik models 316 & 317 both by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen

- 16 Aug 2013

Page 23
France and Søn model 540 by Finn Juhl

Note this and the preceding page F&S model 20 are two of the few Danish solid teak top dining tables.

- 16 Aug 2013

Page 24
Excellent Furniture Company model 315 by Johannes Aasbjerg. Solid teak, not just the top and legs, but the apron too. Every piece of wood in the table is solid teak.

- 17 Aug 2013

Page 25
Excellent Furniture Company model 315 by Johannes Aasbjerg, shown extended with the store-inside leaves in place.

- 17 Aug 2013

Aasbjerg table
unknown model number, although very similar to #315. I have the same table, and there are a few others of this model that have sold.

- 17 Aug 2013

Awesome work leif...
Awesome work leif ericson!!
Look forward to seeing the complete set.

- 17 Aug 2013

Thanks foxxy
It is a lot of pages, so it takes time to post, and I'd like to document the designers of the other page 100% as well, anyone who wants to chime in on those is welcome to.

And I have photos of a few dozen specimens so it takes a bit to collect all of them.

But, for me--lets be very clear about that--for me, Johannes Aasbjerg's work is the pinnacle of Danish Modern design, the honest simplicity of design and the beauty of a master cabinetmaker's handwork. And I happened upon it by accident and was amazed, and dismayed, to discover that it was, with the exception of the one documented coffee table/bench, completely unknown. In fact it took a long time to even find his name to connect to the pieces I had.

Every time I find a new piece it is like bumping into an old friend. The marks of his construction are so obvious when you learn them that it is easy to spot an unknown new piece. I went on a house call about some Møller chairs, and there in the living room was an Aasbjerg folding-top coffee table/storage chest. With the dovetails running down the corners. So simple. Beautiful. Breathtaking.

- 17 Aug 2013

May thanks, leif.
I particularly enjoyed the brochure.

Best ,

Aunt Mark

ps. step right up. the bar's open.

Pages