Skip to main content

Search form

Filters

Comments

- 19 Sep 2008

kidding aside, THIS has more to do with design than the uber popular palin thread(s)!

- 19 Sep 2008

R U kidding?
AzureChicken, are you just toying with me? Because I don't think anyone else on here regularly is from the south. Is this like a test?

I'm going to play along. Here is how you fry chicken:

1. Get out a seasoned cast iron skillet.

2. Put an entire stick of butter or a half cup of your favorite cooking oil in the skillet on medium high heat until the oil is hot enough to fry in. (You can test the heat of your oil by flicking flour on it and if it sputters and spurts, your oil is ready to fry in).

3. Get out a big plate or platter or pie pan or something that can hold a good bit of flour. Dump a bunch of white flour, a healthy spoonful of salt and a good bit of pepper onto the platter and mix it up on the platter with a fork. Take your chicken pieces, (i.e. breasts, thighs and wings all with skins intact) and start with the breasts. Coat the breasts on all sides with the flour mixture and put them in the fry pan.

4. Breasts take the longest, so do all the breasts first. Lay them in the skillet and let them cook without the other pieces for about 15 to 20 minutes. Do not turn them. Do not even peek at them. Just let them be.

5. Now add your thighs. Let them cook for about 10 minutes on one side only. Now your breasts will need to be turned. Turn over your breasts. Once. Another ten minutes and your thighs will need to be turned and your wings added.

6. Another ten minutes and you can assess your breasts. Are they evenly crispy and brown on both sides? If not, lay them on the side that needs more cookin'. Ditto with the thighs and wings. Even frying is the key.

7. When each individual piece is done, lay it on a paper towel-lined platter to soak up the excess grease. Serve with cole slaw, butter beans and black eyed peas.

I still think this thread is a joke and y'all are playin' me.

- 19 Sep 2008

Is that funny?
I knew it. Thanks, AzC. You're a funny guy.

- 19 Sep 2008

I always
thought he was a little funny -- but its seemed impertinent to say anything.

Maybe if I prefaced my remarks with OFF TOPIC. . .?

I can see we'll not get past this until Nov 4 -- at least !

- 19 Sep 2008

My recipe is too good for complete disclosion...
However, I will disclose a few tips...

1. Peanut oil. Olive oil stays in the cupboard for this recipe alone.

2. Buttermilk. Soak the chicken in a bath of buttermilk beforehand and the rest will be of little consequence.

3. Sage. Chicken and sage are like ying and yang.

Happy cooking.

- 19 Sep 2008

Which fried?
Obama fried? or McCain fried? Ohhh Palin fried? Mmmm Delicious!

Riki:
You are not alone! I,m from the south too. :-)
(ps:I had this from others threads, but in THIS one I coudn,t let it pass :-) )

I w b w m r

- 19 Sep 2008

twee widdle wetters
KFC

-sez The Mean Widdle Kid

- 19 Sep 2008

Where in the world
can you buy a "home" pressure-fryer. Considering my consumption rate at the local KFC, it should pay for itself in a few months.

- 19 Sep 2008

Riki
Your recipe sounds great, except that the first step should be to throw the breasts away.

- 19 Sep 2008

Riki
"Because I don't think anyone else on here regularly is from the south."

What exactly makes you say this?

- 19 Sep 2008

McCain, Obama, Palin, Biden...
... all taste like chicken.

- 19 Sep 2008

Buttermilk
Obviously Lunchbox is from the south because he knows about the buttermilk secret!

Whitespike, there's a thread on here titled Introduce Yourself Here that tells where people are from.

Gustavo, you are right, you win! You are really from the south. I guess you will have to give us your recipe for fried pollo. :)

- 19 Sep 2008

But hens are taster than chickens. Not to mention Palin.

- 19 Sep 2008

Riki
Sorry, we were writing at the same time.
ha ha.
I will be back with my recipy
(I w b w m r)

p.s.:Really thanks for your recipy. I,ll do have to try it!

- 19 Sep 2008

Oh, well I'm from...
Oh, well I'm from Mississippi. Lunchbox, too. I live in Austin tho.

- 19 Sep 2008

whitespike, you know better...
I claim New Orleans as my official hometown. Jackson is my stomping ground, however.

- 19 Sep 2008

I actually LOVE the idea of a recipes thread
I can imagine that some of the spicy, saucy folks here on DA are darned good cooks! I love to cook! One of the most the favored activities of hubby and I is to feed friends until they need to unhook their belts!

I am a certified Yankee....but, I'd bet you'd have a hard time beating my BBQ sauce. No kidding! It's a recipe gifted to me by a wonderful woman who ran a diner I used to haunt in my punk rock bartending days. We all called her Miss Hubert, so that ought to clue you in to the autheticity. I've tweaked it very little as iy was near perfection before. It's a Memphis (the city not the design-collective) style red sauce that is spicy, sweet, tangy and rich all in one bite. Great on chicken, pulled pork, ribs or poured over a burger.

Ya'll want me to post it?

By the way, how's your mama an them?

- 19 Sep 2008

Frying in butter?
Maybe sauteeing, but for frying you need a fat that can get hot without smoking. Butter burns at a relatively low temperature. I think even if you clarify it, it's still not ideal for frying.

If you have to drain the fat off the finished chicken, the frying fat was not hot enough. Oil at the right heat will cook the outside quickly so that it cannot soak up excess oil. If too cool, the oil will soak into the batter and you'll have a greasy mess.

Same with french fries, onion rings, fritters, donuts, etc. (Not that I ever eat that stuff. Nope, never, no how. I swear.)

- 19 Sep 2008

This thread has made me extremely hungry
All I had today was a cup of coffee.

- 20 Sep 2008

Haven't had fried chicken in...
Haven't had fried chicken in ages! Looks sooooo good... mmmmhhhhh

I would need some easy made healthy sides.... Organic ideal.... Steamed Asparagus and Carrots, then sauteed in a butter maple syrup blend. Nice contrast against the earthy asparagus and bland carrots. Easy to over do this, so start small, adding until al dente.

Mashed potato's...boil 4 small golden potato's for about 30 minutes. Drain water when potato's are easily poked with a fork. Add about a tablespoon butter using a mixer, blend...add milk to desired consistency.

Buttery I know...but it's in my Scandinavian blood. Get back if there's something chocolate for desert!

- 20 Sep 2008

Haven't had fried chicken in...
Haven't had fried chicken in ages! Looks sooooo good... mmmmhhhhh

I would need some easy made healthy sides.... Organic ideal.... Steamed Asparagus and Carrots, then sauteed in a butter maple syrup blend. Nice contrast against the earthy asparagus and bland carrots. Easy to over do this, so start small, adding until al dente.

Mashed potato's...boil 4 small golden potato's for about 30 minutes. Drain water when potato's are easily poked with a fork. Add about a tablespoon butter using a mixer, blend...add milk to desired consistency.

Buttery I know...but it's in my Scandinavian blood. Get back if there's something chocolate for desert!

- 20 Sep 2008

And
Don't fail to recognize the cruelty of factory farming, which is how most grocery store and restaurant chickens are raised and slaughtered. If you buy chicken, I hope you make an effort to find a local farm whose humane (relatively) practices and policies you can observe for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaxE9ouHpI

- 21 Sep 2008

O Canada
Thanks, Beloved. Our northern neighbor is again more progressive. Hopefully KFC U.S. will implement such an animal welfare policy.

- 21 Sep 2008

Looking through
my i-photos and flickr, i tend to pic many of our meals.
New Orleans was home for years. Lived in Austin and Memphis.
Chicken fried chicken, gumbo, killer bbq.

I'm on the road now but miss our sunday rotis wood-fired chicken,
stuffed with garlic and rosemary. Organic.

Olive. My bbq sauce has rhubarb and homemade maple syrup. Lots of vinegar
reduced to a syrup and very spicy...
We seldom eat out.
Grilling on the beach tomorrow, shrimp and scallops, local tomatoes and
mozzarella salad. BLT for breakfast. Homemade yogurt-non-fat, spiced up with
Wabash and mustard. (trying to keep butter and fat out of the diet)
except for the bacon... compromises.
(internet here is nill or one bar. I've lost many posts)

I live in NYC but working out on Long Island.

- 21 Sep 2008

How did I know this thread...
How did I know this thread would turn political? If a chicken's life is so valuable, how in the hell can you lot advocate abortion?

- 21 Sep 2008

rockland
I just got a rotisserie attachment for my BBQ. Would you consider sharing your recipie?

That photo brought back memories of my childhood. I actually haven't had rotis chicken since. My dad used to make it, and when he passed away 17 years ago, he took his recipie with him.

And Olive, yes please post that Memphis BBQ sauce recipie! I am going to devote some time to try all these new recipies out!

- 21 Sep 2008

Simple glaze over if you ask...
Simple glaze over if you ask me. It's about humane treatments, not grabbing a chicken by the legs and slamming it against the wall repeatedly.

Your argument/rhetoric is seriously flawed ... "advocate abortion". I have NEVER met anyone who advocates abortion. I know many people who DEFEND that right, DEFEND that choice, DEFEND thier bodies from YOUR dictations. Amen.

- 22 Sep 2008

Designing a new dish
To pay homage to the founder of this crazy thread, I suggest substituting crushed up blue tortilla chips as the coating for the chicken instead of the flour and calling it "Southern Fried Azure Chicken".

Pah dum pum.

- 22 Sep 2008

This sauce is the boss!
Hey Woofwoof...I'm with you. It's about defense of individual rights and choice. No one in their sane minds selects it a a form of birth control. Nuff said about politics and religion! I second you also on the Skandahoovian blood...it's always better with a bit of butter and perhaps some pickled herring!

As for the much vaunted sauce here you go. My changes over the years have been to up the spice factor and down the sweetness a bit. The original used peach preserves and I use Hoisin sauce and Tamarind paste to give it complexity and less sweetness.

OK here we go... trust me you really do need to add all of this crazy stuff to get it right. Miss Hubert never measured and neither do I, so the measurements are approximate. You can 'mess with it' as she used to say to get it the way you want it. The spiciness mellows as it cooks that's why there is a lot added at first. If you are nervous that it will be too spicy cut back you can add it at the end instead

In a 5qt or so saucepot put:

1 large or 2 small onions peeled, but left whole, just trim the ends and make an X cut on each end

5-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed a bit

2-3 cups of cider vinegar

1 bottle of beer, lager or ale is best

1.5 cup of ketchup

1 small can of tomato paste

5-6 whole cloves

1 tablespoon of allspice pods

1 stick of cinnamon broken up a bit

2-3 bay leaves

1/4 cup worchestershire sauce

1.5 to 2 cups of dark brown sugar

1 to 1.5 cups of molasses

2-5 tablespoons of ground cayenne pepper (the stuff from chinese markets is the best)

1-2 tablespoons of ground chipotle pepper

1-3 whole chili pods (I like guaijillo the best)

2-4 anchovies

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon of tamarind paste

1 stick of butter

Add enough water to make the onions float and submerge all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Watch your face over the pot! The boiling vinegar carries out the chili's heat and you can blow your sinuses out! Then turn down to low and cover with a splatter guard. Let it cook for 2-3 hours stirring occassionally until it gets kind of a dark brick red color and is reduced in volume to the point where it's a bit thickened. The onions should be really soft and falling apart. If they're not add a bit more water and keep on going. You can taste it at this point to make sure it's not too...whatever and adjust. You should have a good balance of sweet/hot/tangy.

Turn off the heat and let it cool a bit. Then puree it. I use a good old fashioned hand ricer mill to do this. If you want to use a food processor you need to pick out all the spices first. The final sauce is thick and is sticky enough to cling. It stores really well in the fridge or freezer but the heat does die down over time. Reheat it gently to avoid it getting too thick or losing too much spiciness. It is killer-good. Enjoy!

- 22 Sep 2008

Tortilla chips
Ground fine and spiced with a bit of chipotle and garlic powder makes a fine Southwest style fried chicken, indeed!

- 23 Sep 2008

AZUL
when refering to me in my southwestern guise...please soak me first in tequila...

- 23 Sep 2008

For dessert:
I give you my fabulous brownie recipe, loved by all.

Cream 1/2 cup (one stick) good quality unsalted butter (do not use margarine!)

Add 1 1/2 cups white sugar and mix until blended.

Add 2 whole eggs and mix, scraping bowl as needed.

Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix.

Melt 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate; let cool a bit, add to bowl while mixer is running on low speed. I do this from a height so that the chocolate cools even more before it hits the mix. Blend well.

Add 2 tablespoons of very hot water with 1-2 teaspoons of instant coffee stirred into it. Blend well.

Add 1/2 cup (yes, just half a cup) of flour and blend well.

Pour into greased 9"x9" square pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. They should pull away from the sides when done but the middle will still be soft.

Cool on rack and then REFRIGERATE FOR A FEW HOURS or stick in the freezer for an hour if you are in a hurry. This is an important step! The recipe has a high proportion of chocolate and butter to flour and chilling is needed to turn them from mush to fudge! These are super-fudgey brownies. You can eat them warm from the oven but they're so much better chilled.

optional for nut lovers: sprinkle walnuts on the top of the batter before baking. You can mix them into the batter if you want but they get delciously toasted on top, plus that way you can leave some nut-free for the nut-haters. Other types of nuts are ok but chocolate and walnuts are a classic combo that can't be beat.

- 24 Sep 2008

Hmphh...you all have made me...
Hmphh...you all have made me crave chicken, and I don't have any in the house at the moment, and I'm too lazy to go buy some. KFC is okay, but their prices are outrageous. I didn't realize how much their prices had increased in the last few months. I went to the KFC by work a few weeks ago. A normal meal (2 pieces of chicken, 2 sides, and a drink) was around $8.50. That's ridiculous. I can eat a nice sit-down meal at a much nicer restaraunt for almost the same price.

And I actually live in Kentucky...home of KFC aka Kentucky Fried Chicken. Anyhoo, my grandma used to have this small bust of Colonel Sanders. It was very odd :)

- 24 Sep 2008

Fired chicken, Milanesa, Wiener Schnitzel
Fisrt, I was going to tell you that, sorry, but there isn,t fried chicken here, no recipe then!, we have different kinds made in the pot (Spanish way, Portuguese way, Swiss way, and many Italian way, etc etc) and the "Pollo a la parilla", (Possshhho a la parissshha, wih porteños accent) barbecued chicken, almost no sauce, a very simple one, or better: just lemon juice)
But the I realize. . . MILANESAS!!!
Milanesas is the one most popular dishes!, is similar to your southern fried chicken.
A milanesa consists of a thin slice of beef, or sometimes chicken

Ingredients
Chicken breast 4
Egg beaten 4
Salt a bit
Bread crumbs 2 cups
Oil 2 cups

Directions
1. Take a chicken breast and place it in a sturdy plastic bag. Using a meat tenderizer, pound the meat until it reaches a thickness of 1/4 inch. Make sure not to tear the meat.
2. In a shallow baking dish beat the eggs. add salt. (here you can add pepper or milk or parsley and garlic, I prefer nothing)
3. In a separate shallow baking dish spread out the bread crumbs.
4. Dip the flattened chicken breast in the egg mixture. Coat evenly and completely.
5. Now dip the chicken in the bread crumbs. Gently tap the breast into the bread crumbs. Flip the chicken over and repeat. Try not to handle the meat too much. If there are uncovered spots on the chicken - sprinkle bread crumbs on the area and gently pat it down.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Cover a plate with paper towels.
7. Fry the chicken breast on each side for 2 minutes.
8. Remove the cooked chicken breast to the paper covered plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.

You can serve them with French fires or smash potatoes. And add mayonnaise (never Ketchup!!, It,s another difference with fried chicken). Or just lemon juice or nothing!
Small differences between fried chicken and milanesas:
First one is much more spiced, and milanesas thinner and bigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milanesa

- 24 Sep 2008

Fired chicken, Milanesas, Wiener Schnitzel pt2
Before realizing the similarity between them, I thought which is the origin of the fried chicken?

Wiener Schnitzel

Wiener Schnitzel is a traditional Austrian dish and popular part of Viennese and Austrian cuisine, consisting of a thin slice of veal coated in breadcrumbs and fried. In Austria the dish is traditionally served with a lemon slice, lingonberry jam and either potato salad or potatoes with parsley and butter. While traditional Wiener Schnitzel is made out of veal, it is now sometimes made out of pork, though in that case it is often called Schnitzel Wiener Art (Germany) or Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein (Austria) to differentiate it from the original.
The dish may have originated in Milan, northern Italy, as cotoletta alla milanese, and may have appeared in Vienna during the 15th or 16th century. According to another theory, it was introduced by Field Marshal Radetzky, who spent much of his life in Milan, in 1857. The term "Wiener Schnitzel" itself dates to at least 1862.

In the link below can see the differencies in this countries :
Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Cuba, Czech Republic, England, Hungary, Italy, Iran, Israel, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden
United States

Gustav

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel

- 24 Sep 2008

in the begining there was the heavenly blue chicken...
he threw himself into a volcano...a selfless self sacrifice to save the world from sin...and, he was fried...

- 24 Sep 2008

I understood the connection between "fried chicken" thread and "remove dent" thread. But I don,t have clear yet: The frying-removing-dents-system works for the furniture or the forum? :-)

- 25 Sep 2008

LOOK
heavenward...the G.B.C.will remove the dents from your inner self,the intersection of furnituredents&azurite will become,CLEAR.

- 25 Sep 2008

The little bluebird of happiness
has missed his last dosage, methinks ;-) Sorry AcZ, I just didn't follow that last one.

- 25 Sep 2008

Uy! ¿Cual fue el mal entendido?
Oops!, Which was the misunderstood?

Queridisimo pollo azul: Realmente no se cual fue el malentendido, y mis mas sinceras disculpas si es que asi fue. Todo fue bien intencionado.

,,Free interpretation,,
Many of your posts and threads are a kind of ,,Free interpretation,,.
I was trying to explain that in your own way. But as can be seen, I,m not as good as you.

You suggested ,,,Look to heaven to see azure things clear,,,. But it would be more ease, if you are clearer, and say things in plain English. If not, accept the risk of a misunderstood.
Perhaps was my mistake to try to contribute in things that are not my business, but other point that I wanted to comment, is that I thought that this was an ,,international design site,, and then, from time to time a different perspective would make more interesting some subjects. And consider that as an international site, not all of us have English as a mother tongue, so your telegraph style could have more that one meaning. Even for English speakers.

Respectfully I suggest that (at least when opening a new thread), to consider longer and clearer posts AND to use emoticons [:), ;) ] to suggest when is a joke or are you serious.

But it isn,t your fault and is understandable to me, because I see that as time goes by, DA is becoming less and less ,,international,, so all of you have to do a big effort to remember that; wile the ,, rest,, ,,international and non English,, another bigger effort to find a place and not being misunderstood, this time more than linguistically, culturally. Sometimes I think . . . that it,s not ,,international,, any more. . . and I didn,t realize when it was. . .

Note that for writing about milanesas, I needed 4 days (and off topic and misunderstood!), and to write this post I almost didn,t sleep.
That,s why I ask myself: my sin is writing too much or too little?

(((Here there are jokes with oil(fried) and politics + ,,que se vayan todos,, is an interting politic new concept. But I,d need a complete year!)))

Nuevamente perdon,
Again, my apologiezes If there was a misunderstood, and in this case, tell me where it was. And by the way: We don,t have a Texan fried chicken recipe yet! :)

- 25 Sep 2008

Oh Gustavo, I am so SORRY!
It was Azurechicken's last joke that I did not understand! I didn't mean to make you feel that you were misunderstood or unwelcome! Actually I was planning to try the milenasas for dinner tonight as it's simple enough for me to make in the small kitchen we have here at our rental place in Santa Fe.

I apologize again, I didn't mean to upset you!